It has only been a month and already I have forgotten which days we went where in France. I am trying to blog it all in order so that after my blog is all printed it makes sense when we go back and read about it. But alas, I got mixed up about when we went to the d-day beaches...not that it matters you to guys, I just like to keep track! :)
Anyway, we went to them on Saturday on our way to Countances. It was snowing like CRAZY and as I think I've mentioned before my boots were NOT waterproof. It was a slushy wet snow so it just seeped right into to my boots and my feet were freezing after just walking into the visitor center! For that reason I asked Trent if we could hang out for awhile in there for my feet to dethaw and hopefully for the snow to calm down a little. In ended up being really awesome that we did.
They had an awesome movie talking about the day they invaded and telling amazing stories about the things the soldiers did. It was a very humbling reminder about how grateful we should all be fore the amazing things our soldiers do to preserve our freedom.
The thing that impacted me the most while we were there was in the movie a widow of one of the men that lost his life that day said that the military gave her the choice of either having him buried there in France or they'd bring him home to be buried near her. She said she felt strongly that he should be buried there in France because he had EARNED that piece of land and she's right, he did. Hard to explain the spirit of that place but it was very humbling and awesome. Definitely a must see if you ever go to France. 
No comments:
Post a Comment